CFFESD Press Release on First Part of the Election Day Processes
Tirana, June 21, 17:00 - The Coalition for Free and Fair Elections and Sustainable Democracy (the Coalition) presented the findings of the observation of the voting processes for the first half of the election day, reflecting the situation in all Voting Centers in the country.
"Based on the information received from the Coalition's non-partisan observers, the first part of the Election Day proceeded in an orderly fashion, with the exception of few isolated incidents" – said Mirela Bogdani, CFFESD legal expert.
Isolated incidents reported by CFFESD observers by 14.00 hrs are as follows:
- Four (4) cases in which voting was suspended for more than 30 minutes (Tirana VC 1939; Shkoder VC 0089 and VC 0092 and Fier VC 3034);
- Five (5) cases in which secrecy of voting was not guaranteed (Tirana VC 2082, VC 2009, VC 19791; Vlora VC 4585 and Korce VC 4103)
- Five (5) cases of improper assisted voting (Tirana VC 17721, VC 1926, VC 19791, VC 19791 and Vlora VC 4585), and 3 instances of family voting (Gjirokaster VC 4120, Diber VC 1151 and Shkoder VC 81).
- Two (2) cases of presence of unauthorized people (Tirane VC 19791, Vlora VC 4585)
- 12 cases of campaigning in front of voting centers (Durres VC 1373, VC 14602, VC 1416; Diber VC 1111; Korce VC 3979, 3740; Tirane VC 18761, 1789, 17121; Shkoder VC 259; Vlore VC 4585, 4598).
Bogdani added that the Coalition observers were able to freely observe the voting process during the first part of the election day, as provided by the Electoral Code.
According to CFFESD data, average turnout nationwide by 14.00 hrs is 31.6 % with a margin of error of +/-0.8%. The gender breakdown of those that voted by 14.00 hrs is 47 % women and 53 % men.
CFFESD deployed 1000 impartial stationary observers to a random and representative sample for the country nationwide as well as for the municipalities of Tirana, Shkoder, Durres and Himare. Such methodology allows the Coalition to extrapolate their observation findings to the entire country as well as the four mentioned municipalities. CFFESD's qualitative data are reliable with a 95 % confidence interval, within margin of error +/- 4 % nationwide.
The Coalition will inform the public on the overall assessment of the Election Day processes at a press conference presenting preliminary report on Monday at 9:30 at Rogner Hotel.
To receive updates on latest developments, please follow the Coalition at:
Facebook: Koalicioni për Zgjedhje të Lira e të Ndershme
For more information, please contact:
Mirela Arqimandriti, Election Observation Team Leader
Erjona Mulellari, Executive Director, CFFESD
Dhimitër Gjodede, Long Term Observers Coordinator
The Coalition for Free and Fair Elections and Sustainable Democracy (CFFESD) is an independent, non-partisan organization to promote civic participation in elections and in securing sustainable democracy. CFFESD focuses on issues that influence the upholding of human rights, gender equality and the rights of people with disabilities. CFFESD as of June 6, 2015 consists of 30 partner organizations and hundreds of Albanian citizens who volunteer their time to CFFESD's efforts for the Local Elections of June 21, 2015.This project on local election observation is supported by Assist Impact through funding provided by USAID and with the technical assistance from the National Democratic Institute (NDI).